2 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour ( or other 1-1 GF sub)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 of salt
2 large eggs or (egg replacement with flax seeds or chia seeds)
1/2 cup (100 g) organic coconut sugar
1 cup (120 ml) raw honey
3/4 cup oil (any oil except olive, I use canola oil)
1 cup warm coffee or tea (mix 1 cup hot water with 1 tablespoon instant coffee or 1 tea bag)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (25 g) sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts (optional)
· Preheat the oven to 325°F
· Spray 9×5-inch loaf pan or 8×8 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Boil water and add add 1 Tablespoon of coffee to I cup of boiled water allow mixture to cold for 2-3 minutes. Add baking soda to mixture and mix. Mixture will bubble up. Set aside.
· In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Set aside.
· In a mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk together eggs, coconut sugar, and honey on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, for about 2-3 minutes.
· On low speed and with the mixer running, slowly add the oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice and beat until combined. Turn off mixer.
· Beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the coffee/tea in 2 additions, starting and ending with the flour. Beat until smooth, but don’t overmix.
· Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with nuts. (optional)
· Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the top is browning too fast while baking, cover pan loosely with aluminum foil.
Remove from oven and allow to cook 30-45 minutes before serving.
Eating & Storage Recommendations
The cake tastes better a day after it’s made. It will keep for 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
A honey cake is best served at room temperature and enjoyed with family and friends!